Senior Counsel - 0323
The Senior Counsel assists the VP, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary (GC) and the Legal department with a variety of legal issues, including legal compliance and risk and general business and corporate matters; drafting, negotiating, and monitoring contracts, procurement policies/procedures, and administrative regulations; compliance with open records and open meetings, retailer licensing, and other state agency attribute requirements; monitoring litigation matters; drafting and monitoring of game and promotion concepts and rules and regulations; assisting with iLottery (online gaming) issues; and assisting with employment matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Addresses a broad range of legal issues and the making of decisions with legal implications.
- Ensures compliance with legal requirements of federal, state, and local government.
- Prepares contracts or reviews contracts prepared by others, contract negotiations, contract renewals, and contract solicitations in compliance with the Kentucky Lottery Corporation (KLC) procurement procedures and applicable state procurement laws.
- Monitoring to ensure compliance with lottery contracts and other legal documents.
- Advises board of procurement issues and assists in determining when board approvals are necessary.
- Obtains legislative approval of contracts by Government Contract Review Committee.
- Completes insurance applications, including cyber insurance, and addresses insurance claims.
- Drafts administrative regulations and obtains legislative approval from the appropriate legislative committees.
- Responds to open records requests.
- Files liens and addresses retailer collections matters. Addresses retailer licensing and disciplinary matters.
- Formulates policies, including but not limited to, risk management, incident response, information classification, record retention.
- Addresses or works with outside counsel in addressing litigation and other matters filed in state or federal courts, including bankruptcy, foreclosure, probate, prize assignments and intellectual property matters.
- Prepares game rules, amendments to game rules, and promotion rules.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- License to practice law in the Commonwealth of Kentucky or eligible for reciprocity based on licensing in another jurisdiction.
- Five to seven years’ experience with a law firm and/or private or state agency legal department in areas of general corporate, business, contract. Experience in state (KRS 45A) and federal procurement law and procedures preferred. Experience representing or appearing before state agencies preferred.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, work independently, and work under pressure.
- Analytical reasoning skills.
This position has no supervisor responsibilities.
- Hybrid schedule in accordance with KLC’s policies and procedures
- Travel - Minimal
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs.: Occasionally
- Standing or sitting: Continuously
- Moving: Occasionally
- Reaching, writing, fingering, typing: Continuously
- Talking and/hearing: Continuously
- Seeing: Must be able to read reports, documents and use a computer: Continuously
- Sitting for long periods of time: Continuously
We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package including medical, dental, vision, wellness program, health savings account, flexible spending accounts, company paid life insurance, supplemental life insurance, company paid short-term and long-term disability, voluntary benefit plans, generous paid time off plans, retirement plans – including 401(k), 457(b), IRAs, and a money purchase retirement plan in which the company contributes a portion of your base pay.
- Interested candidates may send their resume and salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please indicate “Position #0323” in the subject line of your e-mail.
- We will only contact candidates who match the qualifications for this role and who are selected for the next steps in the talent acquisition process.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer