Retailer Security Tips
PREVENTING INVENTORY & ACCOUNTING PROBLEMS
The best way to avoid inventory problems is to account for each and every ticket. The Security Division recommends keeping a written inventory of all lottery products. Trainers and sales representatives can provide samples of forms for use in your daily inventories.
- Only management should be responsible for receiving, storing and activating tickets.
- Check lottery shipments and confirm receipt of each pack against the accompanying invoice.
- Keep all terminal pack activations, validations, payout slips, and invoices in a secure place until such time as your records can be reconciled.
- Take a beginning and ending inventory of all tickets at shift change, or, at least at day’s end, and run a report from the terminal.
- Prevent attempts to cash previously validated tickets by tearing them in half or defacing them.
- Report suspicious sales patterns, cancellations, or anything else that raises your suspicions to Lottery Security immediately.
- Always require players to be present when ticket sales are made. Never allow phoned in wagers.
Always report stolen tickets to the police and lottery security! The sooner you report a theft or loss, the sooner we can help.
Through our tracking capabilities, many times we can resolve problems quickly and help identify the individuals responsible for your loss.
- Game Number(s)/Pack Number(s) & Ticket(s). Ex: 212-0012178, Tickets 151-299
- Date and approximate time tickets were taken.
- Suspect(s) identity, if known, and
- Investigating law enforcement agency and officer’s name.
REMEMBER THE 6 C'S OF LOSS PREVENTION
- Check and verify inventories.
- Check employee backgrounds before hire and periodically thereafter.
- Check and analyze trends by shift.
- Check that cash register receipts match lottery sales reports.
- Check scratch-off ticket sales by shift.
- Check consistently!
The Kentucky Lottery Corporation is committed to making sure that all aspects of our organization and games are honest, fair, and ethical. If you know of or suspect any impropriety please contact us at email@example.com (Kentucky Lottery Corporation Fraud Watch), or at our Hotline at (502) 560-1813. All calls will be investigated. You may remain anonymous; however, the more information you provide the greater the likelihood for a successful follow-up.
Attention Corporate Groups
The Division of Security offers a program for manager training, or other group meetings on security measures and practices. It includes general security ideas and suggestions related to hiring, physical security, criminal statutes and the handling of Lottery products. We will come to your location, or any other place of your choosing, at any time. If interested, contact Bill Hickerson at 502-560-1805 or Greg Baird at 502-560-1806 or e-mail us from this site.
TO CONTACT US BY TELEPHONE
To Report Stolen Tickets:
24 hours per day, 7 days per week